[Setup] Plone on Mac OS X Server

Mr. Mark Daniel mdaniel at machugger.org
Tue May 2 12:23:39 UTC 2006

Hello all,
	I'm having some issues integrating Plone with Open Directory,
Apple's OpenLDAP-based directory system. I've installed Plone as a
standalone product on my OS X Server (with no integration, installed
from the Mac OS X Installer package on plone.org), and all works
splendidly. To integrate with Open Directory (using LDAPUserFolder),
I had to do some plate-spinning:

(first off, before doing any of this, LDAPUserFolder would not work
*at all*. Zope's LDAP wizard complained that it wasn't installed).
1. The packed Python seemed to be out of date, so I used DarwinPorts
to nab and build the latest.
2. As the included Zope install uses it's own version of Python, I
had to move it and place a symlink pointing to the instance of Python
that darwinports installed.
3. Once doing that, LDAPUserFolder seemed to work, and I'm able to
search for and locate users via LDAP in ZMI, but I cannot read the
groups. My search bases are:

Users Base DN:
cn=users,dc=detroit,dc=pretendco,dc=office
Subtree

Group Base DN:
cn=groups,dc=detroit,dc=pretendco,dc=office
Subtree

All other variables are left to default. Also, when pulling up the
security tab on an object in the Plone interface, Zope crashes and
relaunches. I'm guessing this has something to do with shoehorning
the newer Python into place. Should I have replaced the Apple-
included Python in a different fashion? Is there a way to have
darwinports perhaps update/replace the Python that's a part of the OS
X packaged-version of Zope/Plone?

fyi, this server is running Mac OS X Server 10.4.6, and it's an Open
Directory replica.

This server is a testing server... So, if need be, I can blow it away
and start over (I'd just rather not, if it can be avoided!).
Currently, this machine is a Power Mac G4 1GHz MDD, and it serves
pretty well (for the other duties it's performing). I've thought
about using a linux machine for this, but there are a few other
things that this server will be doing that necessitate staying on the
OS X Server platform (I'm also a helluvalot more comfortable with it ;).

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!

Mark Daniel
mdaniel at machugger.org
actc 10.x, acn member