[Setup] Plone through Apache on Mac OS X 10.4 Server (Tiger) Problems

Timothy Reaves treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Thu Mar 30 00:41:01 UTC 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:55 PM, Daniel Melnechuk wrote:

> Big Picture:
> Plone served through Apache on Mac OS Server does not serve correctly.
>
> Environment:
> Mac OS X 10.4.5 Server with factory installed Apache 1.3.x.
> Plone 2.1.2 binary install for Mac OS X downloaded from plone.org.
>
> Reproduce the error:
> Just installed Mac OS X 10.4 Server and updated all the way to 10.4.5.
> Running on a dual 500MHz G4 with mirrored 120GB drives with 1.5GB ram.
> Set up a bunch of virtual hosts for sites that will be served.
> Installed the package of Plone 2.1.2 without a problem and set the
> port to 8080.
> Then i hand edited the Apache config for the site that i want to be
> a Plone site, and turned off caching in Apache for all the sites
> (so no port 80 to proxy 16080 caching going on in front of Apache),
> following the message from this list:
>
> 	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.user/44741
>
> Expected result:
> Well i was hoping that my first Plone site on Mac OS X Server
> served through Apache would just work flawlessly. Well as
> flawlessly as the other 2 Plone sites i have set up on BSD being
> served through Apache 1.3.x or the CMF/Zope sites i have set up on
> BSD being served through Apache 1.3.x.
>
> Actual result:
> The Plone site comes up but all the links to the Plone site are not
> rewritten to be from the web site -- instead they are showing as:
>
> 	"http://localhost:8080/whatever"
>
> which works on the server of course but not from another computer.
> If you view source the "base href" in the page you see is:
>
> 	<base href="http://localhost:8080/" />
>
> What i have done:
> I have compared the Rewrite rules to the ones i have used under BSD
> and they are the same. I have double checked to the recommended
> ones in the email from this list. I have restarted Plone. I have
> restared Apache many times after each try at editing the conf file
> for this particular virtual host. I have rebooted the server. I
> have turned on RewriteLog and set level to 9 and the log reports
> absolutely no problem.
>
> Thoughts:
> I am starting to think that the Virtual Host Monster is bad, or
> misbehaving. But don't know if there is anything to do with it.
> Perhaps i should delete it and make a new one? Other than that i am
> stumped and so am writing to you all for help.
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

	It's not VHM, but the misguided chap that does the OS X installer.
I suspect the other response to your e-mail either does not have more
than one host served, or is not using the binary installer.  Simply
stated, the guy who puts out the OS X binary installer has done
several things to break it, and doesn't seem overly interested in
correcting them.  I went through a process of getting my machine up-
and-running, and whereas he did answer questions posted to him, none
proved very useful, and when bugs were demonstrated, documented, and
resolutions provided, he simply ignores them.  If this sounds a
little harsh on him, it's intended to be.  He really needs to get his
act together.  Anyway.

	For each site, VHM should be in the Plone root, not the Zope root.
So if you log into http://www.site1.com:8282/manage , click on the
Plone listing in the left hand nav bar.  That is where VHM should
be.  Not the Zope root.

	Now, the rewrite rule will be different for Default and non-
Default.  All non-Default have it set up the same.  But again, this
is different that what is needed for Default.  Default needs

RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8200/VirtualHostBase/http/%
{SERVER_NAME}:80/Plone/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

That's one line, and is verbatim what you need.  You do not need to
replace %{SERVER_NAME}.  Of course, this assumes you've set up Apache
to listen on port 80, and that the Default instance is on port 8200.

For other Plone instances, you need:
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8300/VirtualHostBase/http/%
{SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

Again, one line.  Replace 8300 with whatever port number you use for
that instance.

	The difference is that Default requires "/Plone" (before the
VirtualHostRoot) and the others do not.

	Other than that, Plone2 should also not be installed in /
Applications.  Apples standard says it should go in /Library.  Also,
the Apple installer is set up so that you can not use ZEO.  Perhaps
these three things will be fixed soon.