[Setup] Re: plone usernames starting with digits

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 28 07:24:45 UTC 2006

Steven McDonald wrote:
> Hello
>
>    It  seems that I can not create a usename that starts with a digit.
> Is there a reason for this? Can it be configured otherwise? We have a
> group that would like to create a user called 8pi, it is a name they
> have used on many other accounts and would like to keep it for their
> plone site for consistency.
>
> Thanks
> Steve McDonald

Python 2.3.5 (#1, Jun 15 2005, 14:15:25)
[GCC 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.fc3)] on linux2
 >>> class A:
...     pass
 >>> a = A()
 >>> a.8pi = 'foo'
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     a.8pi = 'foo'
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
 >>> setattr(a, '8pi', 'foo')
 >>> a.8pi
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     a.8pi
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
 >>> getattr(a, '8pi')
'foo'

So, while it's not strictly forbidden at this level
it makes life obviously harder ...
(but frankly speaking I don't know whether there
are really serious issues when enabling such ids)

Raphael