[Setup] Re: disable discussion for whole site

Ben Kingston ben.kingston at pgs.com
Mon Mar 27 08:43:20 UTC 2006

In my example, I want to hide the discussion system from ALL users.
I don't want the default/enable/disable options to be offered in edit forms,
and don't want the "Add comment" option in views.

It sounds like the current permissions control 2 things:
1. "Allow discussion?" stores the discussion setting chosen by the creator
of the item, and this controls *whether* the item will offer the "Add
comment" option to users.
2. "Reply to" permission controls *which* users will be offered the "Add
comment" option.

I think it would be good to have a permission to control discussion at a
higher level - when False, the edit forms should not even offer the "Allow
discussion" options, and the views should not offer the "Add comment"
option. A good name for this permission would have been "Allow discussion?",
but of course that is already in use.

Overall it could have looked like this:
"Allow discussion": controls whether edit forms offer discussion settings
(default/enable/disable) to users with "Configure discussion" permissions.
"Configure discussion": only applicable when ("Allow discussion"==True).
Controls whether edit forms offer discussion options
[default/enable/disable].
"Reply to": only applicable when ("Configure discussion"==True and "Allow
discussion"==True). Behaviour as current.

I may have massively over simplified the ideas above, and misinterpreted the
way permissions work, but I do still think there needs to be a better way to
remove the discussion settings from edit forms - at the moment there does
not appear to be a way to do that.
Thanks,
Ben