[Setup] Re: Zope account problem

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 09:26:59 UTC 2006

Steven LeCompte wrote:

> I’m having trouble with a Zope / Plone server that I recently set up.
> Specifically, when I create a new account from the “Zope” level by going
> to the server’s IP address instead of the host name (e.g.
> http://a.b.c.d/manage) and create a new account from “Control_Panel ->
> acl_users”, I can then only log into that account from the “Plone” level
> (e.g. http://servername.whatever.com/manage).  Anybody in LDAP can also
> log in from the “Plone” level.  However, the ONLY account I can log into
> from the “Zope” level is “superuser”.
>

> I’m still learning how to manage Zope / Plone so be kind if I’m asking a
> question with an obvious solution.  I’ve also spoken to our local Zope /
> Plone Admin and he too is baffled by this account issue.
>

> Does anybody have any idea as to what’s going on here?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Steven LeCompte

Steven,
   There's an acl_users in zope root.  There's ALSO an acl_users in
Plone  root.

   If you add a user to the acl_users in zope root, you should be able
to log in to both zope and plone with this user.

   If you add a user to the acl_users in the plone root, you should only
be able to log into plone with this user.

   However, I'd be reluctant to add any users via Zope. Add them via
Plone instead, by logging into Plone as administrator.

   In our own setup, for example, we can only log in to the ZMI (Zope)
as the original Zope administrator. Others may suggest reasons why this
is bad, but it seems to me, you should only do things via Zope that you
cannot do in Plone , or you are specifically required to use the ZMI
for, and this is something that should be done sparingly, and only by
the administrator.

   Perhaps you've got confused which acl_users you're adding users to
and/or you're trying to do stuff through Zope that should've been done
through Plone?

   Hope that points you in the right direction.
Nick

--
Nick Davis
Web Application Developer