[Setup] install error: stat() argument 1 must be (encoded string without NULL bytes), not str

Maya Wallach hosting at flyingmountain.com
Thu Jul 6 01:10:05 UTC 2006

I'm having the same problem several other people had, trying to get Plone to
install on an older Windows box. I'm running win2k and have been for 5 years on
the same install!  I guess that's why Plone's unhappy.  I get the following
error when I try to make a new Plone site:

Error Type: TypeError
Error Value: stat() argument 1 must be
(encoded string without NULL bytes), not str

I tried to enter this on the plone site bug reporting page but my
plone user/pass didn't work.

Here's the error long entry:

Time 2006/07/04 15:12:31.281 GMT-7
User Name (User Id) flyingmountain (flyingmountain)
Request URL http://localhost:8080/manage_addProduct/CMFPlone/addPloneSite
Exception Type TypeError
Exception Value stat() argument 1 must be (encoded string without NULL bytes),
not str

Traceback (innermost last):

Module Products.CMFPlone.factory, line 44, in addPloneSite
Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 251, in runAllImportSteps
__traceback_info__: profile-CMFPlone:plone
Module Products.GenericSetup.tool, line 725, in _doRunImportStep
__traceback_info__: plone_various
Module Products.CMFPlone.setuphandlers, line 196, in importVarious
Module Products.CMFPlone.setuphandlers, line 25, in installProducts
Module Products.CMFQuickInstallerTool.QuickInstallerTool, line 322, in
installProduct
__traceback_info__: ('Archetypes',)
Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 225, in __call__
__traceback_info__: ((<PloneSite at /PloneDemo>,), {}, (None, 1))
Module C:\Program Files\Plone 2\Data\Products\Archetypes\Extensions\Install.py,
line 15, in install
Module Products.Archetypes.Extensions.utils, line 449, in setupArchetypes
Module Products.Archetypes.Extensions.utils, line 51, in install_dependencies
Module Products.CMFQuickInstallerTool.QuickInstallerTool, line 322, in
installProduct
__traceback_info__: ('MimetypesRegistry',)
Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 225, in __call__
__traceback_info__: ((<PloneSite at /PloneDemo>,), {}, None)
Module C:\Program Files\Plone
2\Data\Products\MimetypesRegistry\Extensions\Install.py, line 24, in install
Module Products.CMFCore.utils, line 631, in manage_addTool
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.MimeTypesRegistry, line 102, in __init__
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.mime_types, line 13, in initialize
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.mime_types.py_mimetypes, line 72,
in initialize
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.MimeTypeItem, line 32, in __init__
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.MimeTypeItem, line 108, in guess_icon_path
Module ntpath, line 256, in exists
TypeError: stat() argument 1 must be (encoded string without NULL bytes),
not str

I just downloaded the 2.5 installer with Zope 2.9.3.
Never had this on my computer before.

Is there a fix?

If not....I really would love to sign in to a Plone site
and see how the CMS works!!

Thanks,
Maya