[Setup] Selective Proxying, Plone + Apache on Mac OS X problem

Adam landry.adam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 21:48:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

The problem I've currently got with Plone is the following:

3 different sites being run on the same server, one at /, one at /folder1,
and one at /folder2.  The sites at /folder1 and /folder2 need to be served
by Apache over port 80, while the root folder needs to be serving Plone.

I can set this up correctly using the VHM and the RewriteRules in
Apache...but there's a problem.  This only works correctly if you're not on
my network.  If you are directly connected to my network (and part of the
largest user base), you can't receive on anything besides port 80.  So I've
got to use the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse functionality in Apache to
make Plone work...but I can't do it selectively.  I can only have Plone OR
the folder1 and folder2 off Apache, not both at once.

I couldn't find a way within Apache to say "only use the proxy rules for
this folder and not this one", but it may exist.  Or the answer might be in
the Plone setup.  Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to fix
this problem.  I'm running this off of an OS X box.

-Adam