[Setup] Re: Is it OK to have Members folder type ATFolder not ATBTreeFolder in Plone 2.1.2?

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 09:53:27 UTC 2006

Harri Alstelain wrote:
> After migration and all the tricks everything seems fine except Members
> Folder is of type ATFolder instead of ATBTreeFolder. Is this OK, can I
> run my site with Members Folder that is of type ATFolder, or do I need to
> somehow convert it to ATBTreeFolder?
>
> Plone 2.1.2, Zope 2.7.6, Python 2.3.5
>
> See also thread "Members folder doesn't get converted to ATBTreeFolder"
>
> Harri

Check this ticket out :

http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/4567

Someone else also opened a ticket:

http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/5089

The second one I added comments to.

To quote the first ticket, here's the fix I found  :

Raphael Ritz posted this in many places and it seems to work:

         site = app[<your plone id>] tt = site['portal_types']

then call on each folder in a loop (See plone setup list for Raphael
Ritz and Marcel MAre's postings of scripts) :

         tt['CMF Folder']._finishConstruction(f)

but, and this is my patch to Raphael Ritz's fix, also do

         tt['Large Plone Folder']._finishConstruction(site['Members'])

Because the fixes posted didn't do the Members folder.

I think if this code is put into the migration code, this bug will be
completely fixed.

As for why these folders were screwed in the first place, it looks like
bugs in previous versions of Plone that have now been ironed out

If this fix is exactly what was put into 2.1.2 I don't understand why
its not converting to ATBTreeFolder because it did, for us.

This fix originally relied upon first manually doing ATCT installation
via quick installer, then CMF recatalog, version migration, type
migration, and only then do portal_migration.

I assumed that whoever put this fix in would have, if necessary, tweaked
the migration code so that doing those manual steps was no longer
necessary. Maybe that was a bad and/or not communicated assumption. ;-)

There may have been some crossed wires / lack of communication here due
to people not knowing each other, or knowing what each other has been
doing. I am fairly new to plone, have not yet met the people
face-to-face and am not yet at the stage where I can check in bug fixes
myself.

As for whether it "matters" if you've got an ATFolder, I would say yes,
because even if it has no obvious problems, you basically don't have
data integrity , your data deviates from a "normal" plone site and could
cause problems later.

I think help from a seasoned plone developer is needed here......

Nick