[Setup] Plone 2.0.5 on MS Server - Upgrade Zope & Python

Sam Luxford-Watts sam.luxford.watts at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 09:57:34 UTC 2006

I have come up against similar issues.

The easiest way I have found is to back up your producs folder and
datafs. use the ununstaller (or remove the plone service manually).

Then install the latest version of zope (2.8.5?) uing the zope
installer. You may need to change the python registry paths to point
to the instance installed with zope rather than the old plone instance
if the uninstall failed (as it did with me).

The plone installer also installs some extra python libraries -
depending on which packages you install you may need to install these
manually - its easy once you have found out which packages are needed!
(PIL is a must but not sure after that)

copy accross your products folder into your new zope instance, same
with the data.fs

start it all up and prey - you must read the upgrade notes as you need
to perform a few tasks (mainly to re-build the catalog I think) before
your plone site will work in zope 2.8.x.

It sounds nasty - and its nowhere near as neat as just hitting setup
but its not too bad. Also if you do it this way then you will find it
easier to upgrade zope sepperately from plone. Its always best to
upgrade one thing at a time too.

Is there anywhere that documents exactly whats in the plone installer
or how to upgrade zope once you have used the plone installer?