[Setup] Re: Plone registration form

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 5 09:53:04 UTC 2006

Cliff Williams wrote:
> Is there a way to add fields to the registration form and make them
> searchable? I wanted to add a "profile" for a group of users but I'd be
> duplicating much of what is provided in ./personalize_form.

Not to derail you from membrane but there is another
somewhat different option that I use in some cases:

*Iff* you have member areas for your members that
you provide a custom AT-based content type for you
could use my 'MemberdataStorage' storage layer for
Archetypes to sync data between the member area
object and the member data themselves. That way
people can update their member data when editing
their member area without noticing. The added benefit
is that you don't have to touch any forms or
scripts to add custom properties to the member data
(only the personalize_form won't show them).

As of today, I never released 'MemberdataStorage'
because I thought people probably consider this
"broken-by-design" but I'm a lazy person and for
me it works.

If you want to see it in action check out my most
recent collective project 'ResearchCommunitySite'

http://svn.plone.org/view/collective/ResearchCommunitySite/trunk

which includes MemberdataStorage.

If people are interested in this, I could factor it
out and make a release of the storage layer though.
(so far, only some property types are supported, most
notably 'string' and 'lines' - 'boolean' should also
work but I never tested this)

Raphael