[Setup] Re: Permissions

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 3 10:28:46 UTC 2006

alan runyan wrote:
> This is entirely wrong.  If you touch the ZMI permissions on individual
> content you are doing bad.
> Please don't do bad.  Doing bad hurts you and us - because you are using the
> software wrong and will give Plone a bad reputation.

I just cannot resist ;-)

Even if you think it's bad I think there are situations in which
it is perfectly fine to fall back to Zope's (as opposed to
CMF/Plone's) security handling.
I do that (sometimes) with what I call "structural folders".
By that I mean folders that aren't subject to workflow at all
and that cannot be created by individual users but
only by site admins (that know what they are doing)
when setting up a site to (pre-)define some structure.
In those cases you may actually want to be able to define
permissions on instance base - as opposed to type base
which is what DCWorkflow does.

I know that there are efforts on the way to provide
a "placeful" workflow for Plone but even when it's
there it might feel like overkill for some of those
situations.

Sorry Alan, I just want people to know their options.

Raphael