[Setup] Zope/Plone ports to avoid Sharepoint

Dave Hall dave-plone at dnh.sk.ca
Wed Feb 22 16:30:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:31:45AM -0500, Owen K wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I have set up a Plone site on my machine (Windows XP) and I will soon
> attempt to recreate it on our LAN server (Windows Server 2003).  How should
> I do port assignments on the server?
>
> Setup:
> Zope-2.8.5-final-win32.exe
> Plone-2.1.2.tar.gz
> Windows XP, or Windows server 2003
>
> I don't know much about this, but I think it breaks down into sub-topics:
> Q1. Determine what ports are in use on the Windows server.
> Q2. Determine what port assignments need to be made for Zope to work.
> Q3. Make the assignments.
>
> Re Q1:  I don't know how to do this. I know there are certain traditional
> values for different protocols, but that is different from finding what is
> actually in use. I know that Sharepoint is running and I expect therefore
> that 8080 is in use. Is the port assignment information centralized
> somewhere in windows?

Most well known services are registered with IANA:

There is no hard and fast rule that applications must follow IANA
assignments.  Many applications don't bother jumping through hoops to
register through IANA.  8080 is a good example which also happens to be
particularly oversubscribed.

No, it's not centralized in any OS that I'm aware of.  The author of the
applications (Sharepoint, Zope, whatever) can explicitly bind to whatever
port they choose.  The kernel will usually prevent two apps from binding to
the same TCP port.

I usually try to keep track in a text file of non-standard ports so I know
what to expect my servers to be listening on when I do security audits.

> Re Q3: I think all of the configuration is in zope.conf. I have already
> changed <http-server> to 8081.

Usually HTTP is the only one you need so that should be fine.

> Re Q2: On what protocols/ports should I expect Zope/Plone to collide with
> other services? Am I right that it is undesirable to have two programs
> listening to the same port, but it is OK to have two programs use the same
> outgoing port? Is it enough that I have changed <http-server> port ?

netstat -bn (from a command prompt) should help figure out what other
applications/services are listening on TCP ports.  This output will also
include other open TCP connections (like e-mail/browsers/etc.) which you
should recognize.

Normally two programs can't listen to the same IP and port.  Ports used for
outgoing connections (browsers, e-mail clients, etc) are usually assigned
dynamically so you don't need to worry about them.  Just make sure you
don't configure two services to listen on the same IP/port combination.

--

Dave