[Setup] Zope/Plone ports to avoid Sharepoint

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 16:19:04 UTC 2006

Hi Owen,

Owen K wrote:
> I don't know much about this, but I think it breaks down into sub-topics:
> Q1. Determine what ports are in use on the Windows server.
> Q2. Determine what port assignments need to be made for Zope to work.
> Q3. Make the assignments.
>
> Re Q1:  I don't know how to do this. I know there are certain traditional
> values for different protocols, but that is different from finding what is
> actually in use. I know that Sharepoint is running and I expect therefore
> that 8080 is in use. Is the port assignment information centralized
> somewhere in windows?

If you issue the command "netstat -na|more", you'll see what's
listening, or rather what's being listened /on/.

> Re Q3: I think all of the configuration is in zope.conf. I have already
> changed <http-server> to 8081.

Yes - zope.conf, and if you have used the Plone installer you may have a
plone.conf too. Values in zope.conf may point to plone.conf...

> Re Q2: On what protocols/ports should I expect Zope/Plone to collide with
> other services? Am I right that it is undesirable to have two programs
> listening to the same port, but it is OK to have two programs use the same
> outgoing port? Is it enough that I have changed <http-server> port ?

You simply can't have two programs listening on the same IP & port (it
might look like it, but it won't work), so yes, changing the server's
ports is usually the way (you can bind to separate IPs, too).

Another issue - are you happy to serve directly from Zope/Plone, or are
you going to add Apache in front and proxy form port 80 to 8081 or
whatever? If you are on an intranet and serving directly, life is simple
- if this is exposed to the outside world, you have other stuff to do...

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk
PGP Public key: http://www.xfr.co.uk
Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"You'll find that one part's sweet and one part's tart:
say where the sweetness and the sourness start."
- Tony Harrison