[Setup] Zope/Plone ports to avoid Sharepoint

Owen K oekelly at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 22 15:31:45 UTC 2006

Hello friends,

I have set up a Plone site on my machine (Windows XP) and I will soon
attempt to recreate it on our LAN server (Windows Server 2003).  How should
I do port assignments on the server?

Setup:
Zope-2.8.5-final-win32.exe
Plone-2.1.2.tar.gz
Windows XP, or Windows server 2003

I don't know much about this, but I think it breaks down into sub-topics:
Q1. Determine what ports are in use on the Windows server.
Q2. Determine what port assignments need to be made for Zope to work.
Q3. Make the assignments.

Re Q1:  I don't know how to do this. I know there are certain traditional
values for different protocols, but that is different from finding what is
actually in use. I know that Sharepoint is running and I expect therefore
that 8080 is in use. Is the port assignment information centralized
somewhere in windows?

Re Q3: I think all of the configuration is in zope.conf. I have already
changed <http-server> to 8081.

Re Q2: On what protocols/ports should I expect Zope/Plone to collide with
other services? Am I right that it is undesirable to have two programs
listening to the same port, but it is OK to have two programs use the same
outgoing port? Is it enough that I have changed <http-server> port ?

Thank you for any pointers.

Regards,

Owen