[Setup] Re: Problems with installing Plone

Joe Malin jmalin at jmalin.com
Sun Feb 19 01:04:06 UTC 2006

Dear Gael

I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I was running into a problem
installing Plone 2.1.2 *Windows installer* on Windows XP. The problem I
encountered was an error "string index out of range" when attempting to
create a Plone instance in the ZMI. I solved the problem by following
the instructions documented for bug 5109
(http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/5109).

The root cause is an entry for the mime type application/x-aim. This
mime type is installed into the Registry with an empty extension, and
when the Plone system attempts to parse the extension value it blows up.
That mime type is for AOL Instant Messenger. The Plone module
py_mimetypes.py needs to be rewritten so it doesn't attempt to parse an
empty extension. Also, I think the AOL engineers need to fix their
installation so that it doesn't create the offending key. I don't see
any other extensions registered in *all of the Registry* with an empty key.

This *might conceivably* cause problems in a UN*X system, but I can't
comment further. I don't know UN*X well enough to tell anyone where to look.

As an aside, I have a suggestion for correspondents to this list: Please
do *something* to establish the context for your message. I received the
following in my Inbox (quoted in its entirety). I can't tell if the
writer was actually trying to contact *me*, and I don't know if the
writer was replying to some specific message I had written to the list.

Joe