[Setup] UnicodeDecodeError in PageTemplate after migration from Plone 2.0.3 to 2.1.2

Dr.Ammon at krankenhaus-kempen.de Dr.Ammon at krankenhaus-kempen.de
Mon Feb 13 15:52:04 UTC 2006

Hello folks,

after migrating a site from Plone 2.0.3 to 2.1.2 I edited one of my custom
made page templates and got this error:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Products.PageTemplates.ZopePageTemplate, line 135, in
pt_editAction
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 66, in pt_edit
  Module Products.PageTemplates.ZopePageTemplate, line 224, in write
  Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 150, in write
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 367:
ordinal not in range(128)

The offending lines are:

<metal:main fill-slot="main"
     tal:define="catalog here/portal_catalog;
                 abteilung request/abteilung | python:None;
                 kliniken python:['Innere
Medizin','Chirurgie','Gynäkologie',

'Urologie','Anästhesie','Frührehabilitation',
                                  'HNO',];

I didn't change these lines and I get the same error, when I hit "Save
changes" without changing anything. The page template works all right, but
I'm not able to change it.

There is a property "management_page_charset" in the Root Folder which is
set to "utf-8". I thought that would do the trick, but after the migration
it doesn't work any more.

Can you give me a clue?

Thank you, Johannes