[Setup] Install error: Executing the command 'setupSite.py' failed

Chris Shirer cshirer at imediadev.com
Sun Feb 12 15:53:26 UTC 2006

I'm on Windows XP, all updates to the OS installed, and get the following message when installing Plone (v. 2.1.2, build 3938):

'Executing the command 'setupSite.py' failed.  Index error:  String index out of range.'

Despite the installation error message, I can then open and log into Plone and the Zope Management Interface, BUT, receive the same 'string index' error when trying to set up the foundation of a new 'plone site'.  The sequence goes:

-- Choose 'plone site' from the 'Add' drop-down.
-- Receive the naming screen in which there are options for 'ID', 'Title' and 'Description'.  ('Membership Source' is not appearing.)
-- I enter ASCII text only names for ID and Title and receive the following error:

Site Error

Error Type: IndexError
Error Value: string index out of range

Visiting the Exception Traceback log shows this:

Request URL http://localhost:8080/manage_addProduct/CMFPlone/manage_addSite
Exception Type IndexError
Exception Value string index out of range

Traceback (innermost last):

Module Products.CMFQuickInstallerTool.QuickInstallerTool, line 320, in installProduct
__traceback_info__: ('MimetypesRegistry',)
Module Products.ExternalMethod.ExternalMethod, line 225, in __call__
__traceback_info__: ((<PloneSite instance at 03300530>,), {}, None)
Module C:\Program Files\Plone 2\Data\Products\MimetypesRegistry\Extensions\Install.py, line 24, in install
Module Products.CMFCore.utils, line 627, in manage_addTool
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.MimeTypesRegistry, line 99, in __init__
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.mime_types, line 13, in initialize
Module Products.MimetypesRegistry.mime_types.py_mimetypes, line 44, in initialize
IndexError: string index out of range

Is there something I can do to get the installation to recognize and execute the 'setupSite.py' command, or, install it in a particular place 'by hand'?

Thanks for any assistance!

Chris