[Setup] Re: migrating a site with default encoding other than utf-8

Lauri Virtanen lauri.virtanen at sll.fi
Fri Feb 10 12:55:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:12:16 +0100, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> I have now written a small script that should help in the encoding
> migration.

-- clip --

> Verify that all went well by browsing your site.
> I'm interessted in all kind of comments and questions.

Things that still need tweaking after using this script:

1) umlaut-characters in portal_actions -> portal_tabs not converted

   Fix: can be fixed manually.

2) umlaut-characters in portal_memberdata -> prefs_user_detail not
converted

   Fix: can be fixed manually.

3) curly quotes in web-pages and news show up as boxes with numbers 0093
and 0094. Some dashes are boxes with number 0096.

   Fix: can be fixed manually, but scanning thousand pages is not
   possible. A general script/tool to "replace string X wiht
   string Y in every page and news item" would be nice.

4) I found at least one news-item from Jan 2003 where auml and ouml
characters have become commas (,) in 2.1.2. In production site
(Plone-2.0.5) they are correct. This seem to be a single case.

5) Events. They are readable but when trying "edit" or "create new"
I get UnicodeDecodeError.

Lauri