[Setup] Re: Unauthorized error after upgrade Plone 2.0.3 to 2.1.2

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 11:16:24 UTC 2006

Hello,

Having recently migrated from 2.0.5 to 2.1.2, and debugged a few things,
I can give some advice, if not an exact fix.

First of all, is this problem as simple as a rogue (customised 2.0.3
version that shouldn't be there now) version of folder_listing floating
about in one of your own or 3rd -party products? Check ZMI /
portal_skins / all the layers in there. There should be no stuff at all
customised from 2.0.3 left in there.

We found quite often the eventual puke and traceback, is a knock-on
effect of other problems, and bears little relation to the real root of
the problem.

Sometimes looking at the eventual traceback is like someone trying to
debug say a C++ program that won't compile, by looking at the last line
of compiler output, instead of the first. All later lines are basically
meaningless if an earlier problem screwed everything up.

In other words, there MAY be absolutely nothing wrong with
folder_listing itself, it might just be making assumptions that are
normally correct but due to things that earlier went went wrong, these
assumptions aren't valid. The problem may be elsewhere.

I would recommend using zopectl debug, to go to the object you're trying
to get to, and try to get at the obj and obj.portal_type referred to in
your template, using python code in the debugger. See what it prints it
out, or if it throws an exception. I would call this technique "fishing
for clues"  . ;-)

More info on how to use the debugger :

http://docs.neuroinf.de/programming-plone/debug

Hope this helps a bit