[Setup] Re: PIL / Python Imaging Library

Bernhard Barkow bbarkow at 24on.cc
Sun Feb 5 14:28:04 UTC 2006

Bernhard Barkow <bbarkow at ...> writes:
> I'm having a serious problem with getting the Python Image Library to
> work with Plone:
> it compiles fine with JPEG support, and passes the selftest.py (55 tests),
> but whenever I try to upload a JPEG file through Plone,
> I receive an error in the event.log.
> Trying it directly in Python, I tracked it down to what is listed below
> (AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '_safe_read').
>
> I use Python 2.3.5 and libjpeg62 (Debian 3.1), PIL 1.1.5 (no Freetype2).
> Has anyone experienced this before, and does anyone have a hint
> how to get around that?

Ok, it seems I solved the problem:
I manually removed PIL from /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages,
then uninstalled libjpeg62 and libjpeg62-dev,
then installed libjpeg62 and libjpeg62-dev again
(and also (libtiff4 and libtiff4-dev),
removed the build directory of PIL,
set up PIL again, installed it,
restarted Zope,
rebuilt the image scales in the ZMI,
and now it seems to work.

I just thought I'd better note this here, in case someone needs it.

Bernhard