[Setup] Re: can we upgrade both plone and zope ?

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 08:53:13 UTC 2006

ramy wrote:

>     we have installed MacOSX plone 2.0.5 package.
>
>     I think the plone installer package itself contains its zope
> version  to run on.
>
>     Currently we are facing a typical problem.
>
>     we want to upgrade plone and zope to newer versions, 2.1.2 and
> 2.8.5  respectively, without loosing any data currently present.
>
>     I got some info about updating  plone, but how to we upgrade zope?
>
>     And which upgrade should be done first?

Presumably you've read this :

http://plone.org/documentation/migration/2.1

That document recommends you do the Plone migration on Zope 2.7.x before
you upgrade from Zope 2.7.x to Zope 2.8.x.

Personally, I tried both and found we had less problems going straight
from Zope 2.7.8/Plone 2.0.5 to Zope 2.8.5/Plone 2.1.2 all in one go, but
our experience may be unusual.

There is no specific step I know of to "upgrade Zope". You simply copy
the Data.fs file from your old site, into the /var directory of the new
Zope instance, make sure the Products directory contains the new Plone
2.1.2, start it up, go to the ZMI and do portal_migration.

If Plone 2.1.2 doesn't come with a Mac OS X package including Zope,
here's how to get Zope on its own :

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/InstallingZope.stx

Hope that helps,
Nick