[Setup] Re: Plone questions

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Thu Dec 14 16:39:02 UTC 2006

Sufyan Patel (NHS Connecting for Health) wrote:
> I am intending to use Plone to develop a web interface that allows users to
> log in and create requests. The user logon details will be stored in a
> database(probably Oracle) together with the Request details.
> What I am trying to find out is whether Plone can link to databases and how
> easy it is to maintain. What is the best 'add-on' to use.
> Also whether it is possible to create buttons/text boxes etc on a page.
>
> The application I am trying to mimic exists currently in Microsoft Access
> but we are trying to move to a more stable web portal.

Sufyan,
   The ZODB (i.e database that comes with Zope/Plone) does a great job,
so the only reason I can see you'd need to store your data in a
relational DB such as Oracle is if you need other applications to search
that data.

some info: http://plone.org/documentation/faq/plone-relational-database

google for "zope relational database", "plone relational database",
"zope sql" etc

There are several ways to "wire up" Zope (and therefore Plone) to a SQL
backend. You should make sure you have a good reason for doing this and
not using the ZODB, as it is a little extra work.
I regret I can't tell you the best way as we just use ZODB. If you don't
get much luck on this list you could try plone-users for this question
as its busier.

Regards,
Nick

PS Creating requests - I assume you'll make a Request content type based
on Archetypes....

--
Nick Davis
Web Application Developer