[Setup] Re: error upgrading from 2.1.2 to 2.5

Darryl Dixon darryl.dixon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 01:35:28 UTC 2006

Hi David,
cc list - note I am not subscribed.

    I found the thread on the Plone mailing list where you are having
difficulty upgrading a Python 2.3.5/Plone 2.1.2/Zope 2.8.7 instance to
Python 2.4.3/Plone 2.5/Zope 2.9.4.  I was in exactly the same situation, and
have had exactly the same error and problem as you and have just overcome
it, so I thought I would send you a quick mail detailing my experience.

I did the migration from Plone/Zope wholesale (eg, I set up the new versions
of Python, Zope, and Plone all at once, then went in to the ZMI to attempt
the upgrade). The first thing that stopped me was some Products that
integrated into the site-packages area of the old version of Python, such as
TextIndexNG2, and they therefore needed reinstalling on the filesystem, but
having solved that, I attempted the migration again, and ran into the exact
error that you are getting.

I noticed that in the portal_quickinstaller that PlonePAS was not installed,
and when I tried to install it, the exact same error was generated (same as
the error during migration).  We had been using the LDAPUserFolder product
with our old Plone setup, so on a hunch I removed the LDAP source from my
acl_users object.  No dice, still the same error.  So, on a further hunch, I
simply deleted the acl_users object from the root of my Plone site, then
tried installing PlonePAS again. Imagine my surprise to find that PlonePAS
promptly installed without error, and a new acl_users object was created
(presumably the new PlonePAS version of this object).  Straight after this I
ran the migration again and all was successful.

My notes on this are that:
1) I probably shouldn't have had to delete acl_users?
2) Luckily most of our user configurations were in LDAP, so they will come
back once I reconfigure the connection with PlonePAS to talk to the LDAP
server, but things like the group mappings (Plone -> LDAP groups) etc will
need re-doing and are non-trivial.

I hope that this helps,
Darryl Dixon
http://www.winterhouseconsulting.com