[Setup] attempting to upgrade plone 2.0.5 to 2.1 or 2.5

Chris Curvey chris at chriscurvey.com
Thu Aug 24 20:21:14 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have Plone 2.0.5 installed in production, and I'm trying to get it
upgraded.  I'd like to get to 2.5 (because I don't know when I'll get time
to try another upgrade), but getting to 2.1 would help me sleep better at
night.  I'd appreciate some direction on the easiest way to get this done.
(I've included all kinds of details below, but if someone could just tell me
the most promising route, that would be outstanding.)

Here is what I've tried so far (all on a separate machine from my production
server):

Attempt #1:

Install 2.1 from installer.  Copy over my products directories.  Try to
install products (CMFBoard will not install.  That's OK, I don't care if I
lose that content).  Copy over data.fs.  Restart.  Go to portal migration.
Migration failed with a pageful of errors.
  a.. Dry run selected.
  b.. Starting the migration from version: 2.0.5
  c.. Attempting to upgrade from: 2.0.5
  d.. Upgrade aborted
  e.. Error type: Products.PortalTransforms.utils.TransformException
  f.. Error value: Invalid transform module
Products.PortalTransforms.transforms.word_to_html: no register function
defined
  g.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFPlone\MigrationTool.py", line 274, in upgrade
newv, msgs = self._upgrade(newv)
  h.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFPlone\MigrationTool.py", line 371, in
_upgrade res = function(self.aq_parent)
  i.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFPlone\migrations\v2_1\alphas.py", line 61, in
two05_alpha1 installArchetypes(portal, out)
  j.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFPlone\migrations\v2_1\alphas.py", line 267,
in installArchetypes installOrReinstallProduct(portal, product_name, out)
  k.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFPlone\migrations\migration_util.py", line 91,
in installOrReinstallProduct qi.reinstallProducts([product_name])
  l.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFQuickInstallerTool\QuickInstallerTool.py",
line 528, in reinstallProducts self.installProducts(products, stoponerror=1,
reinstall=True)
  m.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFQuickInstallerTool\QuickInstallerTool.py",
line 454, in installProducts reinstall=reinstall)
  n.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\CMFQuickInstallerTool\QuickInstallerTool.py",
line 322, in installProduct res=install(portal)
  o.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Zope\lib\python\Products\ExternalMethod\ExternalMethod.py",
line 225, in __call__ try: return f(*args, **kw)
  p.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\PortalTransforms\Extensions\Install.py", line
33, in install updateSafeHtml(self, out)
  q.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\PortalTransforms\Extensions\Install.py", line
66, in updateSafeHtml if transform.id == safe_html_id and transform.module
== safe_html_module:
  r.. File "C:\Program Files\Plone21\Zope\lib\python\ZODB\Connection.py",
line 704, in setstate self._setstate(obj)
  s.. File "C:\Program Files\Plone21\Zope\lib\python\ZODB\Connection.py",
line 758, in _setstate self._reader.setGhostState(obj, p)
  t.. File "C:\Program Files\Plone21\Zope\lib\python\ZODB\serialize.py",
line 496, in setGhostState obj.__setstate__(state)
  u.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\PortalTransforms\Transform.py", line 115, in
__setstate__ self._tr_init()
  v.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\PortalTransforms\Transform.py", line 121, in
_tr_init transform = self._load_transform()
  w.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone21\Data\Products\PortalTransforms\Transform.py", line 156, in
_load_transform raise TransformException(msg)
  x.. End of upgrade path, migration has finished
  y.. The upgrade path did NOT reach current version
  z.. Migration has failed
  aa.. Dry run selected, transaction aborted
Attempt #2:

Install 2.5 from installer.  Copy over my products directories.  Restart
server and install products.  Copy over data.fs.  Restart.  Go to portal
migration.
  a.. Dry run selected.
  b.. Starting the migration from version: 2.0.5
  c.. Attempting to upgrade from: 2.0.5
  d.. Upgrade aborted
  e.. Error type: Products.ATContentTypes.migration.walker.MigrationError
  f.. Error value: MigrationError for obj at
/Knowledgebase/tech/cms/jettyinit (CMF Document -> Document): Traceback
(most recent call last): File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\walker.py", line 174,
in migrate migrator.migrate() File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\migrator.py", line 196,
in migrate method() File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\migrator.py", line 334,
in migrate_withmap newVal(value) File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\content\document.py", line 170,
in setText field.set(self, value, **kwargs) # set is ok File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\Archetypes\Field.py", line 1004, in set
instance=instance, File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\Archetypes\Field.py", line 1238, in
_process_input d, f, mimetype = mtr(body, **kw) File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\MimetypesRegistry\MimeTypesRegistry.py", line
370, in __call__ mt = self.classify(data, mimetype=mimetype,
filename=filename) File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\MimetypesRegistry\MimeTypesRegistry.py", line
325, in classify mt = self.lookup(mstr)[0] IndexError: tuple index out of
range
  g.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\CMFPlone\MigrationTool.py", line 299, in upgrade
newv, msgs = self._upgrade(newv)
  h.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\CMFPlone\MigrationTool.py", line 396, in
_upgrade res = function(self.aq_parent)
  i.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\CMFPlone\migrations\v2_1\alphas.py", line 69, in
two05_alpha1 migrateToATCT10(portal, out)
  j.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\CMFPlone\migrations\v2_1\alphas.py", line 298,
in migrateToATCT10 tool.migrateToATCT()
  k.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\tool\migration.py", line 240, in
migrateToATCT out, elapse, c_elapse =
self.migrateContentTypesToATCT(portal_types=None)
  l.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\tool\migration.py", line 260, in
migrateContentTypesToATCT out = migrateAll(portal)
  m.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\atctmigrator.py", line
239, in migrateAll migrator=migrator, **kwargs)
  n.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\common.py", line 224,
in migratePortalType walk.go()
  o.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\walker.py", line 126,
in go self.migrate(self.walk(), **kwargs)
  p.. File "C:\Program
Files\Plone25\Data\Products\ATContentTypes\migration\walker.py", line 205,
in migrate raise MigrationError(objpath, migrator, tb)
  q.. End of upgrade path, migration has finished
  r.. The upgrade path did NOT reach current version
  s.. Migration has failed
  t.. Dry run selected, transaction aborted

Attempt #3.

Install 2.1 from installer.  Copy over my products directories. Restart
server and install products.  Export my site from old server.  Import site
on new server.  Get "unpack list of wrong size" during the import process.

Attempt #4:

Install 2.5 from installer.  Copy over my products directories.  Restart
server and install products.  Export my site from old server.  Import site
on new server.  Get "need more than one value to unpack" during import
process.

What may be part of my problem is the product set that I have installed on
2.0.5.   I have

CMFBoard 2.2.1
CMFCollector 0.93
CalendarX 0.4.15
PloneCollectorNG 1.2.7

I can lose CMFBoard and CMFCollector in the new site (there are instances in
the old site, but they're unused.)

At this point, I have a few ideas about moving forward.  I could delete the
CMFBoard and CMFCollector from the old site and try one of the four methods
above again.  I could try to install Zope 2.7.x, install Plone manually, and
then try one of the four methods.  I get some DLL errors when installing, do
I have to get past those (which probably means finding another test server)
before it makes any sense to continue?

If anyone has any insight into which route is most likely to be successful,
I'd sure appreciate it.