[Setup] Automating ZEO daemon startup

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 08:28:45 UTC 2006

I am receiving error messages when attempting to start ZEO in daemon
mode. I have looked up several tutorials, but they are all out of
date, or don't help.

I have setup ZEO according to:
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/robust-installation
which is why I'm posting here, rather than on the Zope lists.

I receive an error message and a progressive series of dots when I
attempt to start ZEO:

[zope at localhost zope]$ zeo/bin/zeoctl start
. Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/zope/zope/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py", line 719, in ?
    main()
  File "/opt/zope/zope/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py", line 716, in main
    d.main(args)
  File "/opt/zope/zope/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py", line 243, in main
    self.run()
  File "/opt/zope/zope/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py", line 256, in run
    self.opensocket()
  File "/opt/zope/zope/lib/python/zdaemon/zdrun.py", line 278, in opensocket
    sock.bind(tempname)
  File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
. . . . . . . . [dots continue to appear at a regular interval]

If I start ZEO using:
zeo/bin/runzeo

then all is fine, the Zope clients connect, etc. but it logs to the
console and I want to run in daemon mode.

TIA

Ben