[Setup] Re: 2.0.4->2.1.3 PloneCollector Breaks Dry Run

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 15:23:39 UTC 2006

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Nick Davis wrote:

> I didn't think that Plone would consider 1.2.8 there until I used the
> quickinstaller. Maybe your right though and it doesn't hurt to try.
It depends what you mean by "consider 1.2.8 there" . ;-)  If a file
containing python code changed in 1.2.8, then you've got the the latest
version of code when you start up zope. However, sometimes its necessary
to uninstall and reinstall products depending on how they're written,
like for example if reinstalling added something to the plone skins. So
a matter of luck here.
And, you may be able to do the migration, then later uninstall and
reinstall the PloneCollector to fix any skin issues, though no
guarantees. You need to compare the install scripts of 1.2.7 and 1.2.8
to see if 1.2.8 does anything extra.

> I can try that too, although I was under the impression that orphaned
> objects could kill a migration and would need to be removed by hand.
In my experience it ignored objects for which the product wasn't
installed (in our case, blogs for example), but I can't promise you
won't get migration breaking in your situation. All you can do is try.....

> What debugger, I'm all ears... I thought using runzope was in debug
> mode, but the terminal didn't spit out anything useful.
> Could you point me to good option on Ubuntu(debian based).
Look at:

http://docs.neuroinf.de/programming-plone/debug

and

http://www.zope.org/Members/klm/ZopeDebugging/ConversingWithZope

We use debian, and I find emacs debugging to be great, because it steps
through the code and has syntax highlighting, even for ZPT.

If you're unfamiliar with emacs, its easy to learn with this book:
http://safari.oreilly.com/0596006489

and applicable to many other things besides Plone.

HTH
Nick

--
Nick Davis