[Setup] Re: Clean FC5/Plone Installation: Python Error

smoove_e smoove_e at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 14:23:23 UTC 2006

This install was done using the Plone2.5-UnifiedInstaller on a pristine FC5
box, using the UI readme instructions to a tee.

However, get this: I tried another approach on an alternate clean FC5 box
and installed plone-2.5.1.fc5.i386 from the FC "Add/Remove Software" GUI. It
also installed zope-2.9.3-4.fc5.i386 as a dependency. The version of python
running is 2.4.

This worked (?) and I was able to get the Zope welcome page @ :8080. I then
manually setup the admin user and was then able to access the Zope control
panel, added a Plone site, and then could access via localhost:8080/plone.

So - although I do have Plone running now, I'd like to know:

1. Should this plone/zope/python combo be effective moving forward? I.e. can
I assume that since I can get into Plone, that I should now be able to serve
under Apache with VirtualHosts and eventually use this as a multi-user
Production environment?

Side Questions:

2. Was python installed as a dependency for plone/zope, or was this (v2.4)
installed with the core FC5 install?

3. What am I missing in terms of stability/functionality by not having the
UnifiedInstaller version that set things up under Zeo clients?

Thanks,
-wendi