[Setup] Problems

René Pijlman rene at lab.applinet.nl
Mon Aug 14 14:24:43 UTC 2006

vedawms wrote:
> For what it's worth, I was looking for the same thing, and searching on Plone
> migration generates results for other versions of Plone, but not for 2.5.
 >
> http://plone.org/documentation/migration

Ah yes, those are excellent migration guides, but they're written more
or less after the fact, based on problems people have encountered in
practice. That's why they lag behind when a new release appears. Also,
it simply takes someone to write it.

The generic upgrade instruction is:
http://plone.org/documentation/faq/upgrade-plone

This is more or less the same as UPGRADE.txt in the distribution.

However, this page can be improved. I think this should point to the
migration guides and explain where to look for last-minute information
in the distribution. I'll discuss that on plone-docs.

> this instruction is buried on the site, and should appear
> here:
> http://plone.org/products/plone, not just here:
> http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/2.5 )

I'm not sure I agree with that. Anyone who needs to upgrade an existing
installation should look around on the site and in the download for
release notes, upgrade instructions and such. There's a prominent link
'Full release announcement' that takes you to the next page. I don't
think we need to scare new users with complex upgrade stories.

> I'd be happy to contribute to the site documentation for Plone if
 > someone would give me access.

Please join plone-docs. I'm still waiting for access myself, but I'm
sure it can be arranged :-)

--
René
http://www.applinet.nl