[Setup] IIS

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 20:10:21 UTC 2006

Hi Marie-Anne,

Marie-Anne Delahaut wrote:
> Question : it seems you just have to name a "site" in Plone, but how to
> associate it with a DNS ?
> As for now the public URL is "myIP:8088", but I would like it to be
> "mydomainname-dot-gtld" : how can I do that - and, of course, later on, how
> can I create more than one domain name/ web site with Plone ?

There are two parts to this: -

- the first is that you need to be on port 80, so sooner or later you
will need to use a second IP (so that you can coexist with IIS) or some
form of proxy, as per previous posts.

- the second is that you need to use the VHM (virtual host monster) to
rewrite requests. There is a howto on plon.org about doing this without
proxying at: -

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/multiple-sites-without-proxy-on-windows/

...which tells you about the VHM and how to work with Plone's
AccessRule. Personally, the first thing I do when I set Plone up is kill
that AccessRule - so I can't vouch for that part of the howto. There is
a bit more about the AccessRule here: -

http://plone.org/documentation/faq/multiple-sites-installers/

http://plone.org/documentation/faq/accessrule/

FWIW, once the AccessRule is out of the picture, the standard Zope docs
for the VHM are the place to go: -

http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/VirtualHosting.stx

HTH

--

Regards,

PhilK

"Human language continually changes, innit."
- Stephen Juan