[Setup] Zope 2.8.7 won't start - *stumped*

Russell Michell R.Michell at gns.cri.nz
Wed Aug 2 22:53:38 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I'm having problems with starting Zope itself:

I've installed Zope 2.8.7 on RH Linux with Python 2.3.5 behind Apache
2.2.2, but just can't start it. I have installed and attempted to start
Zope as a non-root user but inside of a dir that my user does has full
privileges. It's also a dir that is an Apache Virtual Host.

Following the guide in docs/INSTALL.txt

#> ./configure --prefix=/path/to/zope/<DIR>
--with-python=/usr/local/python/bin/python
#> make
#> make install
#> /path/to/zope/bin/mkzopeinstance.py
#> Directory: </PATH/TO/DESIRED/DIR/WITH/PRIVILEGES>
#> username <USERNAME>
#> password <PASSWORD>
#> password again <PASSWORD>
#> /path/to/zope/bin/<DIR>/bin/runzope

It's at this last stage that the command prompt just hangs. I have left it
for 5 minutes, tried to connect to vhost.mydomain.net:8080/manage via
Firefox which then hangs and says 'The Connection Has Timed Out'.

And if I start Zope using:

#> /path/to/zope/bin/<DIR>/bin/zopectl start

It *seems* to start. And running ps x | grep zope shows two zope
processes, yet when I try to connect to vhost.mydomain.net:8080/manage
again - Firefox hangs again and again then says 'The Connection Has Timed
Out'.

There is nothing in the apache event_log, or the Apache event_log for this
sub-domain, nothing in Zope's Z2.log and no errors in Zope's event.log
other than a single entry: WARNING ZODB.FileStorage Ignoring index for
/path/to/zope/bin/<DIR>/var/Data.fs.

I feel as though I've covered all the bases, and the only niggly feeling I
have is that Zope needs to be installed as root but run as another user.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm fully stuck!

Many thanks for reading.
Russ

--
Russell Michell - GeoNet Web Developer