[Setup] Re: Plone 2.1.2 on zope 2.8 on debian (testing) not appearing in Add menu

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 13:24:55 UTC 2006

Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:
> The instance is in /var/lib/zope/instance
> The instance name is "default"
>
> dannifannar:/var/lib/zope/instance/default# ls -al

That sounds like a contradiction. How can the instance be in one place,
and have a "name" of something else?
Presumably what you meant was "The instance is
/var/lib/zope/instance/default" ?

> total 24
> drwxr-xr-x   5 root root 4096 Apr  2 19:45 .
> drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4096 Apr  2 19:26 ..
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr  2 19:26 Extensions
> drwxrwxrwx  32 root root 4096 Apr  2 22:27 Products
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root   39 Apr  2 19:26 access
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   20 Apr  2 19:26 import -> /var/lib/zope/ import
> drwxrwxr-t   3 root zope 4096 Apr  2 22:27 var
I'm wondering why etc and bin and log is missing from this list.
Presumably they are set up somewhere else by the packaging stuff.
This doesn't seem like a setup thats very good if you need to have
multiple zope instances for testing.

> zopect is in:
> dannifannar:/var/lib/zope/instance/default# whereis zopectl
> zopectl: /usr/sbin/zopectl /etc/zopectl /usr/share/man/man8/zopectl.8.gz
What's your $INSTANCE_HOME set to inside zopectl? It should be instance
home directory, which contains the Products directory. If not, that
would break things....

> its not in ~/zope/.../bin like the source install docs tell me to do...
> Could it be a packaging problem then? Why would all the other  products
> (the default zope products) work?
Which other products? Other Products that are definitely in the Products
directory? If you started zope not in debug mode, its possible it failed
to install certain products but still continued to start up.

Like Alexander Limi said, the debian packages are a bit of a mess.

I too would strongly recommend, download zope, build your own Zope, then
do a mkzopeinstance which will teach you about instances and keep
everything in a self-contained area. Then unpack plone into your
Products within that instance. We did this and it was very
straightforward. You should do this anyway, as Debian fails to keep up
with new Zope/Plone releases.

HOWTO is here:
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/setup-from-source

All the best,