[Setup] help with Apache2 and Plone2

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Nov 15 12:32:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Serena Pastore wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new with this list and with Plone. I've installed Plone
> 2.1 inside Zope 2.8.1 on a linux machine and I would like to
> configure Apache for placing in front of Plone, but even reading
> tutorials and the Plone book I can't solve this problem. In the
> following I report my apache.conf file. I would like that making a
> call to http://site_name I could see my Plone website that is called
> PloneSite and it is running on http://sitename:9000/Plonesite

What's probably the problem is that you didn't follow the instructions
precisely (personal experience :-) ). Some possible things from
looking at your host config:

* Be consistent in your names. You use site_name, sitename and
   sitename.it => keep it the same.

* Make sure there's a 'virtual_host' VirtualHostMonster in your zope
   root. It should be there by default, but still.

* I'm in doubt about your rewrite rule:

>     RewriteRule ^/(.*) \
>     http://localhost:9000/VirtualHostBase/http/sitename.it:80/Plonesite/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

* You use sitename.it instead of sitename

* You use 'Plonesite', is that really the name of a subfolder (=the
   plone site subfolder) in your zope root? If your plone directory is
   called 'sitename', then you should use sitename instead of
   Plonesite.

I hope one of these pointers helps :-)

Reinout

Reinout van Rees                         r.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
http://vanrees.org/weblog/                  http://zestsoftware.nl/
"Military engineers build missiles. Civil engineers build targets."