[Setup] Plone/ZWiki on Server with Existing IIS sites

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 20:29:58 UTC 2005

Hi Eric,

Eric Frost wrote:
> Does that make sense what I did or am I missing something? Could I run the
> new Plone/ZWiki on port 80 and still run the existing IIS sites on port 80
> as well?

Yes, you can only have one application listening on a given port on a
given IP, so if you do not have an alternate IP, you must use an
alternate port.

Alternatively, you can put both Zope/Plone and IIS behind Apache -
Apache would run on port 80, Zope/Plone can stay on port 82, and IIS
would also be on a non-standard port.

As Alan says, you could get the same effect using a product which gives
IIS proxying capabilities like the Enfold product. In a heavy-duty
Windows shop I would (do, in fact) use the Enfold product which can do a
great deal more than solve this problem - however, to solve this single
problem Apache seems the best bet, not least because it is
free/open-source, cross platform and well-understood.

> Some people are already complaining because they can't get to the site,
> probably because of a firewall on their end.

This is a good reason to keep the "public" view of your sites as
standard as possible, regardless of the "real" set-up.

> So, am I right in thinking I should find a new server to host this on?

It's not absolutely necessary, but does have other advantages.

> So next question -- I just downloaded and installed everything using the
> latest Plone - Latest release: Plone 2.1.1
>
> Would it be easy to migrate this to a hosting provider -
> http://www.google.com/search?q=plone+hosting and do you recommend any and
> will installing ZWiki be a problem?

We have hosting with Zettai - the ZWiki product was pre-installed on our
set-up.

HTH

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk
PGP Public key: http://www.xfr.co.uk
Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"You'll find that one part's sweet and one part's tart:
say where the sweetness and the sourness start."
- Tony Harrison