[Setup] AttributeError : translation_service

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Wed Nov 9 16:44:11 UTC 2005

For comparison purposes, I have tried to run a 2.0.5->2.1.1 migration on
both Zope 2.7.8 and Zope 2.8.4 .

On Zope 2.8.4 , the migration fails with AttributeError :
translation_service.  This appears to be during the portal_catalog reindex.

If I go to a Zope 2.7.8 / Plone 2.0.5 instance, of course there is no
problem clearing and reindexing the portal_catalog via the ZMI. If
however I try this on a Zope 2.7.8 / Plone 2.1.1 with a Data.fs thats
not yet been migrated, portal_catalog reindex fails with the same
AttributeError : translation_service.

People might say "Why are you trying to do this? Let the migration run
its course (on 2,7,8)". But my point is, if re-indexing the catalog
doesn't work on an un-migrated site, surely it is doomed to fail AS PART
OF THE MIGRATION on Zope 2.8.4?

It looks like Plone 2.1 expects there to be a translation_service
sitting in the root of the Plone site. By creating a new Plone 2.0.5
instance I proved this is not something that automatically get created
on earlier versions of Plone.

Therefore, it looks like a chicken-and-egg situation, that re-indexing
the catalog as part of migration on Zope 2.8.4, is expecting something
to be there that won't be there until the site is already migrated.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is this a potential bug?

Nick