[Setup] NT 4.0 - Service Support

alan runyan alan at enfoldsystems.com
Tue Nov 8 18:21:10 UTC 2005

> alan runyan wrote:
> > I just don't see WinNT 4.0 being supported by community or enfold
> > systems at this time.
>
> I do understand the commercial realities, but I was under the
> impression that the Windows installer used the service
> functionality in the Win32 extensions, and that that was
> common to the NT/2K/XP family of OSes - in fact, I thought
> the lack of support was due to an oversight rather than an
> actual problem...

It probably *is*.  You are the first or second person I've heard this
problem from.  So its not a huge pain for the masses.  But I agree - it
*should* work.  I know we have spend a few days attempting to get Enfold
Server to work on WinNT but now that we added all our Ifilter, Active
Directory and Scheduling hooks in -- that it just may not work on WinNT ;(

> > Your only choice(s):
> >
> >   - Do it yourself
> >

> Easy to use a wrapper to fix this problem...

Yes.  Maybe write a howto *wink wink nudge nudge*

> >   - Hire someone to install it for you
> >

> ...which I can do myself!

Please write a howto if you find time *smile* - lots of people would
appreciate it.
BTW: I didn’t know your skill set.

> >   - Convince Enfold Systems to support WinNT 4.0 (which
> will require
> > $$$)
> >

> No $$$ (or £££ in my case) for this, as it would be better to
> upgrade the server...

Probably ;-(

> >   - Convince Zope Corp to support WinNT 4.0 (which will require $$$)
> >

> ...and all I'd like to know from the Zope guys is
> when/why/how they /stopped/ supporting NT, 'cos it used to
> work fine and I did not notice the version at which it broke.

I have no clue.  The only client that I had that ran Zope on WinNT I stopped
servicing 3.5 years ago.

> Yup - to be honest, I'd like to resolve it purely because
> it's messy - but it's also true that when I have whined about
> this before I've had half a dozen emails from other people
> who have found my mails on the web and have the same problem.

I think identifying where the problem is and sending a diagnosis of the
information to the installers list; I can probably work with some guys
internally.  But its not a top priority.

> Wearing another hat, we've just bought the Enfold server BTW,
> so thanks for that!

No problem - please give us feedback.  I'm sure you will be happy with the
effortlessness of the product.

> (FWIW, we bought a 2K3 server to run it on - it won't go
> anywhere near an NT box!)

Thanks Phil,

Alan Runyan