[Setup] Search doesn't work for Japanese text - using TextIndexNG3

Tom tomhuggett at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:37:48 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I live/work in Japan and I am setting up Plone to be a documentation server
for our intranet.  Searches in English work fine, however, searching in
Japanese doesn't seem to work at all.

I've installed the following:
CentOS - kernel is 2.6.9-11.ELsmp
Zope 2.8.1-final
Python 2.3.5
Plone 2.1
Archtypes 1.3.4-final
TextIndexNG3 3.0.7
PloneExFile 3.10

When I create a new "page" from the dropdown menu, add Japanese text, and
save the document,  the text isn't searchable in the search box.
If I insert English, the search works fine against the English words.

I would like to be able to search both Japanese and English text when adding
"pages" as well as content within PloneExFile documents (I got English text
searches working with PloneExFiles (Word docs, Excel files, PDFs, etc.), but
Japanese searches don't work for them either).

Thanks,
Tom