[Setup] Re: Will migration ever work? -update

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 10:36:04 UTC 2005

It appears the folders that are failing are missing some attributes.

Members' folders added from Plone 2.0RCx to Plone 2.0.3 are failing to
be found by the migration code, because they lack a portal_type attribute.

Another difference is the owner attribute has the old name of our Plone
root site, from before we renamed the site. I suspect that is a symptom
rather than a cause. In the same way that migration didn't find these
folders, quite possibly rename didn't find them....

We could carry out surgery by hand on these folders. It is better
however to write a script to bring them in line with ones that do work.

I am not sure that migration code can really be fixed to remove this
bug. The starting data is effectively corrupted and needs to be fixed first.

One may ask why Plone 2.0RCx to Plone 2.0.3 added folders with missing
attributes. This may also be the cause of all these "some folders don't
work" problems. I shall continue investigating.............