[Setup] Zope/Plone/VHM/Apache confusion & multi-site login.

Juliann juliann at people-are.strange.com
Tue Dec 6 22:58:03 UTC 2005

I've tried to read all of the documentation available relating to
apache and virtual hosting available at plone.org, but I just can't
figure out what to do in my situation.  I suspect it's because my
setup is too odd, but please note that I am not a techie, just trying
to make some sites for some non-profit and charity
organizations...but testing on some sites for myself .

I'm trying, for now, to set up four Plone sites plus a testing site.
I'm on Mac OS 10.4 and I used the Tyrell installer.  I am using the
"Default" instance as my testing site -- no problems there, and I am
not trying to route apache for it anyway.  The problems come with the
other sites.

Right now I am working on two personal sites of my own.  Since they
have substantial overlap of users, and total overlap of Product use,
I have set up an instance entitled "Personal" with Plone sites inside
with the ids "health" and "mysite".  I have deleted (but an undo
deletion if needed) the default "Plone" site that was created when
the zope instance was created (via the newsite command, as per
instructions with the installer).  I have changed the plone.conf so
that the Zope interface is on port 8284 and the "plone
interface" (which I know is just a construct of the installer) is at
8204.  However, if I went to 8204 before deleting the "Plone" site,
that was all that I could get to; IP:8204/health got me an error in
that site.  After deleting the "Plone" site, I just get a Zope error
(Resource not found).  OK, that makes sense, but I don't know what to
do now.  Each of those sites has a domain name waiting to be attached
to them.

I'm not married to having them both in one Zope instance, its just
easier.  But I know that other sites have managed to  do virtual
hosting of multiple sites within a single Zope instance.  So what do
I do?  I'm afraid I am lost here :(

The reason why I want to at least try to do two sites within one Zope
instance is because the first two non-profit sites will be virtually
identical and users should be able to register with one site but use
that login on the other site and vice versa.  Not all users will be
interested in the sister site but enough will be that I would like
for it to be as easy as possible for them to move between the two.
What I have been told (and have yet to confirm through testing) is
that having them both in the same Zope instance and then moving
acl_users to a location above the two Plone sites should allow a
single login for both sites.  Please correct me if I am wrong!  (I
admit confusion, as there is the zope acl_users there.)

So to summarize:  Two sites within one zope instance, but not showing
up at Ploneport/sitename .... how to set up Apache and VHM for the
virtual domains to be properly routed.

Two sites with a single login....how to configure this, especially if
the answer to the above is "can't be done".

I do apologize tremendously if this has been documented online
elsewhere.  I simply cannot wrap my head around it as my setup varies
from all of the examples I have seen, and I think that the Mac
installer's portrouting may be hiding info that I would otherwise
have  handy.

Thanks ever so much in advance,

Juliann