[Setup] Re: How many Plone sites on Zope

Nick Davis nd51 at le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 10:44:46 UTC 2005

Multiple Plone sites for the same organisation sounds inflexible to me.
It seems better if one organisation keeps everything in one single site
in order to share access to the same resources. However, I'm not sure
what happens to performance if it gets really huge... plone.org is
pretty big of course.... (but well-tuned)

However, presumably the reason you want multiple Plone sites is you have
multiple clients? Perhaps then, you may want a seperate Zope instance
for each? Although this means many Zope instances running, it can be
easier to get your head around, keeping data for different clients in
seperate compartmentalised places. Also you can do radically different
configurations of each Zope instance, if clients are radically different
in their usage. You might at some point have different versions of Zope
for different clients, but then maintaining all this could be a
headache. I guess its a trade-off between simplicity and flexibility and
the decision needs to be carefully considered.

Just a couple of thoughts.......

Nick