[Scientific] Re: Hello, List!

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 17 07:56:52 UTC 2007

Georg Gogo. BERNHARD wrote:
> Hello, all; I want to contribute my notes, raw and unedited as they are.
> Please forgive me for all the misspellings, especially the misspelling
> of names, i am quite sure i got wrong - it is more a phonetic transcript...

Hi Gogo and others,

thanks for sharing your notes with us!
For me this is most interesting because I couldn't make it for
Naples this year.

I have a few comments/questions added inline below

> 8<----------
>
> Oslo: Publication approvals from a group
> Chris: Teams of researchers remember (what properties are on a user)
> team oriented - draft documents - publishing is great, managing,
> visualisation is hard! treating members as content objects is necessary
>
> collaborate scientists - build an ontology

Do you remember what that meant? FYI: we continue to work
on PloneOntolgy and while we didn't port it to Plone 3 yet
David is scaling it up. It can now import GeneOntology
in its fill beauty ;-) (more than 60.000 classes BTW).

> CMFBibliographyAT

I keep on promising that I'll update it as soon as I find the
time. There are a number of ad-on by now to make it even more
useful, some of which are published like ATBiblioList,
ATBiblioTopic and others while some are in the makings
like a PubMed client.

> Denmark collect data / analyze data
>
> [Jonathan Callahan] build communities around existing projects vs. NASA
> climate metadata ; best practices for adapting plone for situations
> DOCUMENTS!

Isn't that exactly the use case Martin is covering in his
b-org example/tutorial?

> Danube university austria - project demonstration portal - project
> communication
>
> "pleatis" project ?
>
> archeology mapping GIS classical artefacts - pictures media : digitize
> ancient world maps of the ancient worlds
>
> if content is text based it is easy, otherwise you need metadata!
>
> metadata text based:
>
> metadata standards! schemas XML schema transformers! very different
> descriptions, oostethys http://www.oostethys.org/:

I'd like to add here that I would love to see OIA-PMH support
Maybe via vice?

> thesaurus hirachy - Visualizing! hyperbolic trees brain.com

In a sense that's a special case of an ontology.
Also note that PloneOntology does provide a visualization
component (depending on the availability of graphviz)

> standards and transformations - funding and value! producs! The Marine
> Community: Storm search maps! Applied science
>
> Big Files!

In which sense? For BLOB support it's coming anyway.
The multimedia crowd is pushing and wanting this also.

But when it comes to 'big files' meaning import things
that generate tons of content items (like importing
GeneOntology via PloneOntology generates 60.000+ content
items; importing PubMed/Medline via CMFBibliographAT
would generate 6 million entries) then we do have indeed
problems still.

> Research patterns ocean survaillance systems : regional programms,
> differens systems, heterogen!
>
> [Jörgen Modin] Sweden "Phime" toxicology biomonitoring 3d walkthroughs,
> best practices, How to try out new technology? Showcasing stuff,
> integrating.
> Toolkit for blah, how can we integrate it?
>
> Shiboleth! [Chris] Radius, Kerberos, ...
>
> Tool for saving e-portfolios in plone , document learning achievements,
> open source portfolio, free text? contains a cv, blog, reviewing
> personal achievements.
>
> BEST PRACTICES!!
>
> base project, usecase
>
> simple GUIs, less compliucated
>
> Plone as a frontend?
> Scientific magazines -> Journals; hard to stay up
> copyrights
>
> KEEP UP WITH THE JOURNALS
>
> Make it available, data streams on, real time data.
> The one thing plone needs for science?

There is no such single since as science is too diverse
and therefore the use cases are too different.

If anything this is calling for flexibility, easy
extensability and for that in turn better documentation.
But we all know that anyway, don't we ;-)

> Editors tools -
>
> highlight - comment
>
> Andreas Jung: Smart Print NG
>
> Built in members as objects!
> Processes and maintain teams, approvals, workflow members, atttach
> properties
>
> MacYet plone for universities Andreas Jung
>
> mahara.org
>
> Browsing through the notes again, i want to mention a Project I did for
> the plone conf 2005 in vienna:
> GoSOM2, a self organizing (kohonen) map that can help categorizing
> arbitrary contents:
> http://gogo.bluedynamics.net/plone/code/ai/GoSOM2/

Is the code for this available somewhere?

Raphael

PS: great to see some activity in this area.
Keep it coming ...