[Scientific] Re: RDF and Researchers

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue May 29 19:39:48 UTC 2007

A Bowtell wrote:
> We're not exactly a project, so much as a largish collection of researchers -
> forming a division of a university. Part of what we want to do is exactly
> what you say - identify common interests across different disciplines. Since
> writing the initial email of this thread, we've set about drafting an
> ontology, we'll try to publish it in due course, but we'd be happy to share
> drafts privately too.  We're starting small and worrying about the big
> issues later, once our users have got used to the idea.

Hi Anne,

I've been using and promoting Plone since years in the context
of scientific applications but only recently other people from
my field started adopting Plone themselves (e.g., all Bernstein
Centers for Computational Neuroscience in Germany are using
Plone by now and I'm currently about to introduce it at a new
international scientific organization - the International
Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility)

While most of the stuff we do for individual applications or sites
is too specific to be publishable there are some more generic
components that came out of what we do, most notably

    http://plone.org/products/cmfbibliographyat
    (and it's add-ons to handle bibliographical data)

and in fact

   http://plone.org/products/ploneontology

which could even be of interest to you right away as it can
be used as an ontology editor from within Plone including
support for OWL-based import/export to and from other applications
(OWL - the web ontology language is itself an RDF application).

Should you be interested in exploring PloneOntology I encourage
you to file issues you encounter or feature requests to the
product's tracker at plone.org (Plone 3 compatibility coming
soon I hope)

Raphael