[Scientific] Virtual Collaboratory Release

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Mon Jul 2 19:57:25 UTC 2007

Hi everyone, I'm Rob Knapp, Marcin and I shared the stage at the plone
conference in Seattle.

I haven't participated much in the discussions going on here, but I have
been reading them.  Based on that, but not waiting to make this look
like an advertisement, I just wanted to drop a line and let everyone
know that the Virtual Collaboratory project has just released its 3rd
milestone in it transformation into a pure plone product based on the
opencore platform. The release is available at
http://ww.sf.net/projects/vic, and we have debs currently available for
Ubuntu Dapper and Feisty.  (I'm having problems building the ones for
edgy.... but they will be along.)

The current milestone release has the following features:
Document Exchange & Resources
Blog compatibility (Docs & Resources can be posted to blog)
Mailing Lists
Group Calendar
Wiki integration

Over the next two milestones we will be adding integration with at least
one web conferencing package (elluminate) as well as beefing up the user
profiles to match those in the 2.0 version of the product.

Upcoming Plans:
After that we will be concentrating on  getting the code stable, however
we use this release in our day to day business and its fairly stable for
a pre-alpha.

After we get a .0 out the door, we intend to start looking at ways to
help our users find collaborators using our system.