[Roadmap] plone.app.multilingual

Ramon Navarro Bosch ramon.nb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:30:09 UTC 2012

Thanks for the support!

About LinguaLink, its a hard problem as p.a.m. (like LinguaPlone) has
different content object for each translation and neutral content may not
be located on the translated folders. We thought sometimes about how to
solve this problem with no clear solution, right now the behavior is the
same as on LinguaPlone, a content is LanguageIndependent if language='' and
the patch on the catalog shows it when you are filtering. The link solution
(like lingualink) it's a possible idea that could be implemented easy (pam
allows to link different content types objects as translations) so maybe
just a Link type would work and with a translation menu option enable to
create the link for all translations that doesn't exist.

Nowadays pam has three patches, one for the Products.CMFPlone.CatalogTool
(filter by language and add neutral content), another for
plone.app.content.browser.foldercontents (to allow by a control panel
option to see all translations on the folder_content view) and
Products.PloneLanguageTool.LanguageTool.LanguageBinding to make cookies win.

The folder_contents patch reason: now the translations are separeted by
root folders (/en/ , /ca/, .. ), from the user point of view, we thought
about enabling browsing all the languages content without changing the
actual UI language.

Also the ILanguage interface to get/set the language on different kind of
contents may be integrated to LanguageTool.

So we are writing a PLIP if it's ok for you.

Ramon

--
Ramon a.k.a bloodbare