[Roadmap] plone.app.multilingual

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:48:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Laurence Rowe <laurence at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 July 2012 11:49, Ramon Navarro Bosch <ramon.nb at gmail.com>
>> What's your opinion ? I know there should be a PLIP process... but I thought
>> asking the roadmap team first.
>
> I think this makes a lot of sense to put p.a.multilingual on the same
> tier as staging / versioning / theming - an add-on shipped with the
> installers as a dependency of the Plone egg.

+1

> We should be careful with introducing dependencies in
> Products.CMFPlone (core.cfg in the dev buildout) so experienced
> integrators can make buildouts targeted more specifically at their
> projects, but I'd be happy to move the catalog functionality into
> CMFPlone or one of its dependencies to avoid the monkey patches.

One question I've long had about p.a.multilingual is whether it
address the set of use cases around partially-translated sites
better/differently than LinguaPlone.  Not everybody has the resources
to do full-site translations, and it seems that this was always a bit
of a pain point with LP, to the point that there evolved a number of
workarounds, eg. http://plone.org/products/bluelingualink/.

:jon