[Roadmap] Roadmap is live!

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon May 7 09:27:05 UTC 2012

On 7 May 2012, at 09:01, Mark Corum wrote:

> The announcement has been up since about an hour after the posting.

I'm just wondering about the title of the news item:

"First Official Roadmap to Plone's current and future development published"

Sounds like we have never had a roadmap in Plone's past and sounds a bit johnny-come-lately to me. AFAIK we have previously had a roadmap for a long time:

https://dev.plone.org/roadmap

In fact, Real Story Group even point to it as a feature of Plone in their CMS report:

"""One of the benefits of a well-managed, open-source project is that the roadmap is posted (and discussed) online, so if major changes are in the works, you will have advanced warning. The roadmap is publicly available at:

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap

We advise you to watch the roadmap page (and the Real Story Group blog) regularly, as Plone’s roadmap (and the progress along the way) can be a moving target; it seldom looks the same from one month to the next."""

OK, we can argue that that roadmap is not strategic, or in many cases in the past even accurate ;) (although looks better currently).

Just wondering if we should have a slightly more positive title seeing as this is going to be seen by many analysts and competitors and I don't want them to say 'Oh Plone finally has a roadmap, we've had one for ages' or similar.

Something along the lines of "Plone publishes updated roadmap to current and future development"  or similar and perhaps a paragraph towards the start saying something along the lines of we have previously had a roadmap, but that it vas very development focussed and the roadmap team was formed to provide a more long term strategic view to the roadmap.

Thoughts?

-Matt