[Roadmap] Roadmap comments need responses

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Fri May 4 15:39:51 UTC 2012

On 4 May 2012, at 17:18, Mark Corum wrote:

> When I originally raised the idea of a roadmap about two years ago, it
> was to provide Plone end-users and deciders with a document which
> accurately plots out the current state of Plone and where Plone is
> going in an authoritative manner so they could make decisions based on
> this plan. This was in no small measure a reaction to large amounts of
> FUD being spread by our competitors based on bad information which was
> out there on Plone.org and other places which still talks about the
> "3-Ds" technologies all being part of the release of Plone 4 - and all
> the great stuff coming out when Plone 5 was "released in mid-2010."

So what you are touching on here is the wider issue of things such as the 'State of Plone' presentations that happen regularly. What are you proposing to do with these talks? They happen several times a year, and most are archived online. Are you now saying we need to go back in time and rewrite history when our roadmap changes? If not, I don't see how an updated centrally published roadmap will help if the problem you are seeing is competitors picking up 2-3 year old information and using it against us.

In an ideal world we would be accurate to our roadmap, but in this case the release schedule was specifically altered due to feedback from the community (i.e. we don't want Plone 5 yet, we want more incremental Plone 4 releases). Whilst we can update *this* roadmap, you seem to be indicating that any published information before that point is then harmful. If that is the case, do you have any suggestions for dealing with it?

-Matt