[Roadmap] Roadmap comments need responses

Mark Corum mark at plone.org
Fri May 4 15:18:27 UTC 2012

I think the idea of having an internal document open for comment and
revision is a great one and something we should definitely have going
forward as an internal document for input by the community.

But while I like like in theory "publishing" a document which is
subject to revision and comment on an ongoing minute to minute basis,
this works against the entire purpose for why this document was needed
in the first place.

When I originally raised the idea of a roadmap about two years ago, it
was to provide Plone end-users and deciders with a document which
accurately plots out the current state of Plone and where Plone is
going in an authoritative manner so they could make decisions based on
this plan. This was in no small measure a reaction to large amounts of
FUD being spread by our competitors based on bad information which was
out there on Plone.org and other places which still talks about the
"3-Ds" technologies all being part of the release of Plone 4 - and all
the great stuff coming out when Plone 5 was "released in mid-2010."

We need a  document which provides a real "roadmap" to the path we are
taking, and when we expect to reach this or that milestone or release
this or that feature.  This needs to be a published document with some
measure  of permanence, which is updated regularly to reflect actual
state of the items it contains.  I don't think it can be what amounts
to a wiki page.

How about we publish a snapshot of the roadmap, then plan on updating
it every 6 months on an ongoing basis with an internal review process
that keeps it accurate and viable?

Mark