[Product-Developers] plone.app.widgets nightmare

Asko Soukka asko.soukka at iki.fi
Mon Mar 3 10:44:35 UTC 2014

Dylan Jay wrote:

> You do know plone.app.widgets is still in development and targeting
> plone 5 right?
> I wouldn't be seriously trying to use it on plone 4.3

-1

I think, we really should keep p.a.widgets working (and be re-usable in
add-ons) also an Plone 4.3.

The widgets work OOTB with built-in types, but it's really hard to
integrate them into your own add-ons without digging into code for the
hidden details. And the widgets do require jQuery >= 1.8, which bring
additional incompatibilities (e.g. p.a.theming's editor does not work
yet with 1.8).

Personally I'm waiting p.a.widgets to get more stable before re-learning
their integration, but I do want to upgrade Plone 4.x sites to use those
well before Plone 5. (We already have one site running with early alpha
of p.a.widgets. It works great, but the integration has changed after
that and I will re-learn it only after widgets get stable enough :)

-Asko