[Product-Developers] RFC: Venusian-based Python-syntax alternative for ZCML-configuration

Asko Soukka asko.soukka at iki.fi
Sun Jan 5 18:43:22 UTC 2014

Hi Steve,

thank you for your positive feedback.

Do you think that the current syntax is ok as such, or would you like to
change something in it?

To summarize the syntax:

0. packages should have [meta|configure|overrides].py similarly to zcml
    (I'm not changing how zope.configuration works, but just adding a new
    syntax for it from what we've learned from Grok and Pyramid.)

1. configure.namespaceshortcut.somedirective(*args)

    Any normal configuration call. (Namespaceshortcuts are simply
    mapped into known namespace using a dict in c.venusianconfig.)
    Classes, functions and methods (but not lambdas) can be passed
    as arguments, but they are interpreted back to strings for
    zope.configuration.

2. with configure(package='...') as subconfigure
        subconfigure.namespaceshortcut.somedirective(*args)

    Nested directives are implemented with contextmanagers.

3. @configure.namespaceshortcut.directive.[class_|handler|etc](*args)

    Directive calls can be used as decorators by adding one more
    part into configuration call (e.g. class_ for browser:page,
    handler for subscriber, factory for adapter, etc.)

4. import submodule
    scan(submodule)

    Decorators from other that [meta|configure|overrides].py must be
    read with scan (similarly to Pyramid)

    Currently, scanning is not recursive and does even prohibit
    scanning of subpackages in favor of configure.include(package="...")

I'm still think thinking mainly two things before adopting this to our
team for internal packages:

- scan() should probably be recursive and work for subpackages similarly
   to Pyramid and Grok, but it would then compete with
   <include package="" />

- should there be a set of predefined shortcuts like

   page = configure.browser.page
   adapter = configure.adapter

   which could be used like directive

   or

   page_config = configure.browser.page.class_
   adapter_config = configure.adapter.factory

   which could be used as class/function decorator

Shortcuts would make the configuration to look simpler, but would also
add "magic" and more difficult to mentally "map" the configuration code
back to zcml.

Regards,
Asko