[Product-Developers] How to group fields in dexterity? Nested fieldsets possible?

Gaudenz Steinlin gaudenz at soziologie.ch
Sun Feb 2 13:06:28 UTC 2014

"David Glick (Plone)" <david.glick at plone.org> writes:

> On 1/31/14, 11:30 AM, Maik Derstappen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm looking for a way, to group some fields in a dexterity model.
>> What i can do is, using a fieldset with plone.autoform, but this results
>> in tabs in the edit form, which is ok.
>> But what i whant is, inside one tab (fieldset) i will have some smaler
>> fieldsets to group fields together which are belong together like
>> date_from and date_to or some thing like this.
>>
>> z3c.form support nested groups (fieldsets) is there a way to do this in
>> Plone with dexterity?
>> Or how should i group fields in the dexterity edit form?
>>
>> thx for any hint
>>
> If you put enable_form_tabbing = False on the form class, Plone won't
> turn the fieldsets into tabs.
>
> But if you want tabs *and* fieldsets within the tabs, I think you'll
> need to write your own form template. The autoform fieldsets and the
> default template in plone.app.z3cform only handle one level of
> fieldsets.

I needed something similar recently and have some patches for
plone.app.z3cform, plone.dexterity and plone.autoform to support nested
groups (that's what z3c.form calls fieldsets). This solves all the
low level problems I found with nested groups.

It does however not (yet) address the plone.autoform template part of
automatically generating HTML output for nested forms. You still need a
custom template. Patches welcome.

If now pushed my modifications into branches on github:
https://github.com/gaudenz/plone.z3cform/tree/nested-groups
https://github.com/plone/plone.autoform/tree/nested-groups
https://github.com/plone/plone.dexterity/tree/nested-groups

I'd appreciate a review of these branches. And if someone would write
some tests, the better. Template changes in plone.autoform to fully
support this would be appreciated too.

Gaudenz

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.